- On 21 Sep 2022
- In India Tour
- Tags Tracking ,
vibrant gay-friendly travel destinations in India
Vibrant gay-friendly travel destinations in India - Royal India Holidays
What makes a great holiday? New experiences, friendly people, scenic locations, great weather, a vibrant culture, exotic food and of course safety and security are somethings that come to mind.
India offers a wide range of experiences, something for every taste. It is a safe and welcoming country for gay travellers.
Article 377, which criminalised consensual same-sex relationships, was revoked in September 2018, after a long and hard battle by gay rights activists. Now the country is on the brink of a "pink" revolution with more services and companies catering to this substantial group of people.
Our team at Royal India Holidays has over 20 years of experience in organizing tours in India for people from all over the world, including planning a large number vacations for gay travellers. We have in-depth knowledge of romantic, authentic and luxurious experiences for couples in India and neighbouring countries. We have personally vetted and created a repertoire of gay friendly destinations, hotels and service providers. Security and privacy is our top most concern.
Here is our list of the best destinations for gay couples in India:
1) Kerala - Listed amongst top fifty destinations in the world by National Geographic Traveller magazine, Kerala, God's own country, is a stunning piece of tropical paradise. Gifted with pristine white sandy beaches and lagoons, amazing greenery, tropical landscape, stunning hill stations and tranquil backwaters, this place is certainly heaven on earth.
It makes for a romantic, scenic and private vacation. You could do boat cruising in serene Periyar Lake, a backwater cruise in Kumarakom with meals under the open sky, enjoying the cool breeze at the lovely Kovalam or Marari Beach, and spending a night on a houseboat on the backwaters.
2) Goa - A trip to Goa is not just a vacation, it's a state of mind! Swaying palms, sparkling water, white sands and beach shacks make Goa the best place to chill. It also offers historical delights and scrumptious cuisine. It is also a great place to let your hair down and party!
Goa gets a lot of tourists from all over the world. The people of Goa are open minded and friendly, and the state offers many gay friendly hotels and other stay options.
3) Golden Triangle - The Golden Triangle is a classic introduction to India. Its a great way to start exploring this magnificent and diverse country which is blessed with a rich and vibrant culture and heritage. This destinations are Jaipur, Agra and Delhi.
Each region has its own culture, language, festivals, art forms, rituals, architecture, delicacies and more. With this tour you can explore the majestic forts and palaces, enthralling dances and puppet shows, and delectable cuisine of Rajasthan when in its capital city Jaipur. In the historic and imperial national capital city New Delhi, experience the Mughal era while you walk through the streets of "Old" Delhi and the contrasting British built Lutyen's Delhi when in Connaught Place and nearby areas. The third destination Agra is home to, amongst other delightful sights, the Taj Mahal, the white marble monument symbolizing everlasting love. Want to add a caption to this image? Click the Settings icon.
4) Udaipur - The charming and romantic city of Udaipur is also known as the City of Lakes. Lake Pichola is central to the main palaces and all the palaces, including the ones floating in the water, are lit up. It's incredibly atmospheric. An evening sunset cruise on Lake Pichola is a must!
5) Mumbai - Mumbai is a striking paradox of dreams and struggles, glamor and mess, and modernity and tradition. Its often referred to as the "city of dreams" and is today a vibrant melting pot of cultures and lifestyles. It is one of the main centres of art, culture, music, dance and theatre in the country. Its most iconic tourist spot has to be the Gateway of India, located right on the waterfront overlooking the Arabian Sea. A walk through the lanes of rustic south Mumbai, dotted with building from the British era, will transport you back in time. Of course no trip to Mumbai is complete without sampling the sumptuous street food! Mumbai has a gay pride, which is normally in the month of January/ February. It has many gay bars and parties which you can attend.
6) Delhi - Delhi offers over a thousand monuments, old capital buildings including the present seat of the government, the Lok Sabha, designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, the British architect, and bustling bazaars. In contrast it has some of India's most luxurious and modern hotels, markets and restaurants. The city also has its own pride parade in November every year. Delhi has a handful of gay saunas and bars which you can visit.
We planned a Golden Triangle vacation for Andrew and James from Australia in May 2019, this is what they had to say about their experience
"We just returned from a 6 night tour of the Golden Triangle and we were extremely impressed with the service provided by Royal India Holidays.
We were picked up at the airport where we were greeted by the local representative and we met our driver for the week. At each destination we were met at the hotel by a local representative which made check in and check out a breeze. The driver went above and beyond to ensure our holiday was memorable. Each tour guide was friendly, knowledgable and ensured our holiday was memorable.
A nice touch was the director calling us after each city to ensure that we had a nice stay. I can highly recommend Royal India Holidays to anyone looking for their first trip to India. They made travelling in a foreign country feel easy and safe.
Thank you to each team member who helped make our trip so great. A special thanks to our wonderful driver for the week who spoilt us."
Write to us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call +91 9810068824 to know more about travelling in India as a gay couple.
With us, Royal Holidays India, you get hand picked experiences and local travel insights, and the most exclusive service providers. This enable us to give them international service standards and a trip of a lifetime!